Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Greetings from John J. Horn

I should probably say "howdy" since I live in Texas, but for the time being I’ll stick with my East Coast roots and give you a simple "hello."

I’m happy to join the team here at Word Painters and share thoughts gleaned from my experience with and study of the art of writing. Painting is a good metaphor for writing. It’s a constant struggle of finding the right colors, the right brushes, the right concept — even the right canvas — but if God blesses, the final picture can be a thing of beauty.

I’m the youngest of three and the uncle of two. Since I can remember I've had a passion for books, and it seemed a natural progression to move from reading them to writing them. 19th-century authors have a special place in my heart, men like G.A. Henty, R.M. Ballantyne, Jules Verne, Robert Louis Stevenson, Charles Dickens, James Fenimore Cooper, and more. They were flawed men, as we all are, but they generally espoused Christian morals and concepts such as honor, courage, and duty, which I draw upon for my own books.

Having been born in New Jersey, I now live in sunny South Texas. My hobbies are mostly limited to reading and writing, which I fit around a full-time job.

Most importantly, I’m a Christian, which affects every aspect of my life and writing.

What I Write

I primarily write historical fiction centering around British characters during the 1830s. There are currently two books in my Men of Grit series, with #3 coming soon.

















I've also adapted the first album of the popular Jonathan Park creation radio drama into three novels.

What I’ll Be Writing About Here

The craft of writing is a deep well whose bottom has not yet been reached. Life is a constant journey to improve my craft, and I hope to help you by detailing techniques I've learned along the way, as well as writing about bigger picture concepts such as why Christians should be writing books, what genres can be most impactful today, and more.

I also work in the publishing industry, so I have the unique privilege of both creating content and being in the behind-the-scenes process of packaging that content and delivering it to readers. I’m an editor and proofreader and interact with global book retailers and distributors, so I've seen the author-publisher relationship from both sides and hope to be able to provide you with tips and ideas for succeeding in the publishing world.

You can learn more about me and my books at my website, johnjhornbooks.com.

Here we go!

Until next time,

John

4 comments:

  1. I'm really looking forward to reading your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to your posts, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, John! Looking forward to what you have to share with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice introduction! Lovely to meet you and I look forward to more posts!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for contacting us!