Wednesday, September 25, 2013

It's All About the Environment

Well, no, not really. I suppose my title confused yah a bit! After all, what does protecting the environment have to do with writing?


Ah, hah! Not that sort of environment. Your writing environment. I'm not exactly into tree hugging. Moving on.

What is your writing environment like? My mom pointed out that mine is centered within laughing kiddos, barking dogs, and banging dishes. But, in general, what sort of environment do you try to create?

For me, as long as I am on my cozy bed, with my coffee/tea at my side, and headphones in with great music playing, I am happy. But there are extra steps we can take to create a good writing environment. Here are a couple I thought of:

  • Is your environment cluttered or organized? If you are like me, clutter is a major distraction. Now, you might not have time to clean up a whole lot, but there are little things you can do. Is your laptop dusty?Wipe it off. Shut that closest door. Tidy your research books, pick up the clothes off the floor.
  • Light a candle. It creates a serene setting with a beautiful scent!
  • Open a window if the season permits. A fresh breeze is delightfully refreshing and having a nice view as you glance up from your screen is even more inspiring.
  • Get comfy. Maybe you are like me and have to write spur-of-the-moment, in between piano lessons and loads of dishes. But you can get as comfortable as possible. If it's evening, pop into your pajamas.
  • Think about what stirs your creative juices. If it is chocolate and coffee, make use of it! :)
  • Do what your characters might do. Experience to the best of your ability what they might experience. Spray some perfume in the air and think about how to describe the scent. Stand up and stretch. What might your character think and feel as he/she performs that simple movement? A fellow author recently wrote about how she went shopping so she could think as her fashion designer character did. (Hey, what gal among us doesn't like that idea?!) Remember to take in all the senses. 

Oh, and about the photo. Official disclaimer here:

The person in the picture is definitely NOT Joshua Hoppman, and if it was him (Which it isn't), he would most certainly NOT recommend hugging trees as a daily activity, ESPECIALLY if you're allergic to bark.


What can you do to make your writing environment better?


Alicia A. Willis is a home-school graduate, published author, and avid historian. She is a firm believer in the principle that one can accomplish anything by substantial amounts of prayer and coffee. Visit her at her blog to view her historical-fiction novels and all the goings-on between writing!

8 comments:

  1. Great post, Alicia. When I write, it's usually at the computer in the office, but I'm encouraged to try something new to get my creative juices going. :-)

    His Princess,
    Bekah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you enjoyed it. Let me know how your experiment goes!

      Delete
  2. Great ideas, Alicia! Yeah, I do not like writing in a place that is cluttered/messy. I usually end up doing a "cubby pick-up" before I work on a bit of poetry. Oh, and I love Josh's disclaimer. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I knew we had that in common! I like the disclaimer too!

      Delete
  3. Nice Post! Cute picture of a young man who is NOT Joshua. It must be an impersonator.:)
    Lots of love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great ideas and ME TOO! I don't work well with clutter around and I definitely love, and use, inspirations such as you mentioned! :-), I can't think when I there is clutter. Although, I have learned as a parent to try and tune it out some, as it tends to be a way of life at times...YEAH, LOVE that disclaimer, so glad it is NOT Joshua Hoppman! Who is that dude anyways....:-/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a guy I found off Google images. Not sure who he is. Probably a weatherman of sorts... ;)

      Delete

Thank you for contacting us!