Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Reality, Discipline, and Maturity - Oh My!

Ah, good old reality. You just have to love it. Or not.

Let's see if we can get this straight. Most of us are normal, busy, hard-working individuals. We live regular lives and try to pile writing on top of it. How does it work?

My day is comprised mostly of this:

 


I can make a bet your day is too. (Not that I am a betting person. Moving on.)

What comes after all that? When it's 4:00 PM and you are dead tired?


Yep. Time for chocolate, a nap, and a movie. And, if you are like me, an iced coffee. You don't feel like doing this:


Trust me, you don't. Writing is the joy of my life, and I still hit the I-don't-want-to-write-today downs 4 out of 7 days a week. So how do you balance the necessities of life and still follow your passion, your dream?

Discipline.

Awwhhhh! That horrible, scary word!!! Pretend I didn't say it.

But it's true! Sometimes, you just have to force yourself to write. It isn't always easy. That episode of Richard Greene's Robin Hood is calling you.... (Ok, confession there.) But you have to do it.

Make a point of getting a word count in every single day (with exception; see below. And Sundays off.). Even if it is a mere 25 words, get it in there. Just a few words can stimulate your brain. More often than not, you will find yourself with a word count of 200+. Why?

Because the first step is always the hardest!

Take that first step. Set a goal. Try rewards. (I have found that allowing myself to get on Pinterest or Goodreads after a set word-count is a wonderful motivator. Chocolate would work too.) 

I will add, however, that there are times to take a break. Sometimes God calls us to rest. The point is knowing when. How? Maturity. Ah, another scary word!  But it's true. You need plain old maturity to determine whether God and legitimate circumstances are calling to you take a short break. If you don't have maturity, you will fall for temptation. Taking a needed break and having let's-fritter-away-time-on-Pinterest are two very different things. (Ok, personal confession there.)

But, back to focusing on discipline. Leave a comment saying what your goal for today is. Sharing is a great motivator. Nothing like good old accountability. (Hey, and that is another method of getting your word count in!)

Ok, what are you still doing online? Go write something! ;) I am going to...

Alicia A. Willis is a home-school graduate, published author, and avid historian. She is a firm believer in the principle that one can accomplish anything by substantial amounts of prayer and coffee. Visit her at her blog to view her historical-fiction novels and all the goings-on between writing!

3 comments:

  1. Ooh! Good, encouraging post. My goal for today is to complete my next blog post and edit an article for an online magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goal is get over this head cold!
    And writing-wise? Polish my introduction post for tomorrow, as well as finish snowflake-ing my WIP. :)
    Thanks for the encouraging post!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for contacting us!