Monday, September 23, 2013

Run The Race? Why?

Running is hard. It's tiring, exhausting even. You get sweaty, and often times it takes away from what you would rather be doing. You might wake up and find that it is raining. Well, who wants to run in those conditions any way? Nah, climb back in bed and wait for a sunnier day.  

My biggest failing, I believe, is that I have hard time finishing and pulling through. See, in today's society we are taught that when we get bored or discouraged with something because it's too hard, we just simply quit. Marriage getting tough  Ah, just get a divorce. Your boss being a pain and not getting paid enough? Ah, just quit and find something else. It's much too easy to quit. Although I have not been raised in that society so much (being Home schooled), I am still surrounded by it. The more I get out in the world, the more I see it. It certainly is an easy out, and rather a pleasing one if you find yourself in a 'too hard' position. With writing, I sometimes get my 'brain freeze'. Can't think of what to write next. Nothing is coming along with my story. It's too hard to try to think of something anyway. So, I just give up. I don't finish what I started. Instead, I just stop writing and wait until some other brilliant idea comes along. If you were to go and search through my folders, you'd find about 15 documents. All manuscripts for some book or other. All half done. 

Sad, isn't it? I'm learning, painfully, that writing isn't something that can be given up- not if you want it to become something. If you want to sell books, then you're going to have to get them written. If you want to flood the market with wholesome, encouraging, good literature, then you have to write! There is no shirking, and, believe it or not, you may be shirking one of your greatest duties. 

I believe writing is a ministry. Did you know that in 2005, 3.1 BILLION books were sold on Amazon alone? Now, with eBooks, there are about 4-5 thousand a day sold. That's a lot. There are that many people reading books. What sort of books are they reading, though? Unfortunately, there are many books out there that are trash, plain and simple. Whether it be just bad story lines and terrible writing, or else just inappropriate things happening inside the story. However, there are many wonderful books out there as well. The only problem is, the generation that writes those books will soon be gone. Who will be the next generation to step up and lead the way towards good literature?  I look around and see so many young authors popping up. The question is, though, will you take this ministry seriously? God doesn't call everyone to be a foreign missionary. However, we all have a ministry. Whether it be going to your local nursing home on a weekly basis, babysitting your neighbors children, being an example to younger siblings, or writing. Nothing is too small to be considered a ministry. 

So, with writing, I find that it is a ministry. If you can get your books read, and you're pointing to Christ with your example, then you are indeed in ministry. Yet, if we fail to take this seriously, then it will not work. We will fail. 

Now, I do want to say that I need to listen to my own words. However, no one is perfect. I do find, though, that it varies when/how you are learning. Sometimes it is from those who are in front of you in the race, other times from the ones behind. Yet, it often seems to be from those who are running beside you.

Run your race! Stay true to the tasks the Lord has given you- whether it be writing or not. Encourage one another always. 

"Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you might win." 1 Cor. 9:24



10 comments:

  1. Yep! Writing is a POWERFUL ministry! Keep it up, Sarah! Keep writing. And guess what? The darker the world, the brighter the light is. Your books will stand out like a wonderful lighthouse in a sea of worldly literature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! Thanks for those wonderful words. So very true. :-)

      Delete
  2. Great post, Sarah Elizabeth. It's so true! Writing is definitely a ministry.

    Thanks for posting!

    His Princess,
    Bekah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading, Bekah! :-) It most certainly is! :-)

      Delete
  3. YES! I'm passing this along to another Christian writer I know. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thank you! I'm honored to know that. :-) Thank you for reading!

      Delete
  4. Excellent post, Sarah! You are gifted with a beautiful way of words!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :-) The Lord has certainly given it to me to write it out and send it on. :-)

      Delete
  5. Yes, I see my writing as a ministry, too. That is helpful to remember on days when I find myself wishing I had better book sale figures. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keep up the terrific work Sarah! Writing is a tool that can be used to the glory of God! Thank you for your great post here. Encouragement and exhortation often needed! Run the race even in writing! You have a way with words and that is God-given!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for contacting us!