Thursday, September 5, 2013

Welcome to my side of the blog!

Hello there! My name is Cara Simmons and welcome to my side of the Word Painter's blog. I am very honored and excited to be a part of this site, though I am a little nervous at the commitment it means, simply because I am a very busy person and my schedule is quite full. I will do my best to fulfill my side of the task of writing and hopefully I will bless you in the process as we both learn from our experiences of daily living.


I am the author of a three part series of fictional Christian adventures books for children, written with children 9-12 in mind, though all ages have enjoyed the stories. I am a homeschool graduate, having gone through six years of homeschooling back in the day when it was unknown and not really accepted yet. I was a quiet girl, often living in my own imaginative world where I thought of myself as the main character in my favorite books and movies. Other ideas and stories stemmed from those dreams and my imagination created all kinds of new characters and plot points, which I began to write down. Around the age of ten years old, I remember sitting in a pine tree (Oh, the sticky sap!) with my best friend and I told him that my dream was to become an author when I grew up.
 
I grew up, met my husband, and got married in 1998. The next nine years were busy with raising four children and trying to make Connecticut feel like home. After coming from the beautiful mountains of Vermont, the stuffy air and attitude of CT was very hard to adjust too, but overtime everything settled down, meaning me, and I accepted where God wanted me to be.
 

In 2005 I began to remember my dream of becoming an author, which my husband encouraged me to follow after that dream. I started writing in my spare (ha ha!) time, which mainly meant grabbing a few minutes here and there, as well as late into the night. After two years of working on my manuscript, editing, searching for a self publisher, editing, tears, and more editing, I finally held my finished product in 2007. The entire process was a learning experience for me, teaching me to have patience, wait on God's timing, and be humble. God was good though, and He helped me through the entire journey.

My fifth baby was born in January of 2008 and I took some time off of writing so I could enjoy my newborn. I resumed writing that summer and at the end of 2009 my second book came out. I will not go into detail here of everything that transpired between publishers and whatnot, but I will save that for a future blog. Maybe my ups and downs of publishing will help others in their own journey of writing. There were lots of them and once again, everything that transpired was a learning process. Do we ever stop learning in our lifetime?

To make a long story short, my third book came out in 2012 and I had a complete set. God had, and still continues to be, so good to me. He has guided every step that I have taken and taught me some valuable lessons that I hope I never forget.

I did homeschool my children for many years, but we are currently attending our church's Christian school, much to my oldest child's chagrin. God opened up a door for me to teach kindergarten there, in which my youngest child is a part of, and I pray this year is filled with blessings and good changes as God takes us down a completely different road.

My hope and prayer for this blog site is to be a blessing to you, to encourage you in your writing, and to show you that yes, you can really do this. The writing is the easy part. Really, it is. :) And, as long as I can continue to find that little bit of time to write, I can do this too. I look forward to hearing from you and seeing you in future blogs. If you have any questions, feel free to email me or leave a comment in the box below. Lord bless you all and have a wonderful day!

Cara Simmons
info@carasimmons.com
www.carasimmons.com

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful introduction to yourself and your sacred callings as a wife, mother, and writer! I am so excited about reading your viewpoints on writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post was an encouragement! I get discouraged sometimes when activity fills my days and I have no time to write. I like being busy, but not being able to write is painful. But, as you testified, God is good! He will help us in our work and it will be accomplished in His timing. I look forward to your blog posts. I look forward to all the writers' posts! This is such a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelsey,
      Thank you for letting me know I am not alone in wanting to write. We can do this together and with God's help. :)

      Delete
  3. Thank you, Alicia. I look forward to seeing where God takes this blog. Thanks again for allowing me to be on here with you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for contacting us!