Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Book Review

I figured supporting a fellow Word Painter would make for a worthwhile post today! Right, gang? So sit back and enjoy my review of Word Painter and Vision Forum author John J. Horn's book: 

Brothers At Arms:
Treasure and Treachery in the Amazon

4.5 Stars.

This lively, slightly improbable tale takes place in 19th century England. Lawrence and Chester Stoning are twin brothers, but they are as different as can be. Lawrence is an analyzer and deep thinker. Chester is a man's man, a bold fellow with a passionate thirst for gallantry. It is not until Chester follows one of his impetuous schemes and Lawrence dutifully follows him that the two brothers learn what it means to be brothers-in-arms - not brothers-at-arms. This bold tale follows the traditions of Henty with a splash of Haggard's "King Solomon's Mines". I also had flashbacks of "Robinson Crusoe".

I am not the type to always finish a book I start. If it is boring, I will put it down. Let me say this book kept me hooked to the very end. I laughed, I learned, and I experienced the hair-raising adventures on the edge of my seat. John Horn's dry, witty humor is evident on almost every page, as well as his clear love of history. I was very pleased with the historical aspects and was delighted to find a fellow author who knew so many little-known details. I also enjoyed the romance and knew exactly where it was headed from the very beginning, which was fun!

The only reason I did not give this book 5 stars was because I would have liked some more descriptions of the physical aspects of the characters, the geographic areas, and the depth of emotion. I do not say this critically. This is my own personal taste. I prefer more "show, not tell". For the most part, Horn "showed", but there were some instances I would have preferred more. Still, I realize this aspect of his writing style may be a part of the overall charm. 

I applaud John Horn for creating a unique book appropriate for the whole family. I was delighted with the refreshing originality of the style and the creativity of the plot. Recommended for action lovers, teens, families, and history buffs.

I received this book from the author in exchange for my honest opinion. The sentiments above are completely my own. I was under no obligation to write a positive review.

Was this review helpful? Vote it up on Amazon! And be sure to add this book to your Goodreads shelves!



Alicia A. Willis is a home-school graduate, published author, and avid historian. She is a firm believer in the principle that one can accomplish anything by substantial amounts of prayer and coffee. Visit her at her blog to view her historical-fiction novels and all the goings-on between writing!

2 comments:

Thank you for contacting us!