Monday, January 13, 2014

Is Self-Publishing for You? Part 1 ~ My Story


When people come to our house, usually they make a comment on the number of books. When they ask me about it I shrug and reply: “What do you expect when two bookaholics marry? Their children are predestined to follow in their footsteps.” Indeed our house is full of books and story makers.

Being homeschooled only fuelled my love of reading even more. By the time I was 11 I was reading at a high school level and have a hard time finding books that I could read and at my reading level. For many years, I gave up on fiction and read non-fiction almost exclusively until I was in my late teens.

This lack of fiction books that I wanted to read inspired the story maker in me. I had always had a big imagination, and at 11 I started my first story which was a retelling of Robin Hood. By the time I was seventeen, I had completed four books. Although none of them were long in length or very good, they laid an excellent foundation. They proved I could complete a story, even when it got hard, and I was apply things I learned to each of my new books.

After attending my first writers conference in 2007, I took what I had learned and wrote the first story I thought other people might really enjoy. It was then I was faced with the choice of how I wanted to publish my story. I prayed and asked for advice from my parents and other people I trusted and prayed some more. In the end, I felt led to self-publish.

Many people don’t think that this is a good option. After all, we all have either read or heard about the books that have been self-published and were awful. Many people assume that I self-published my book because I couldn’t publish it any other way, or because I was too eager to have it out there. That is not the case. I truly felt that, after much prayer, it was the way God was leading me.
Over my next few posts, I want to share with you about self-publishing so that you can decide if it is the right choice for you. I wanted to start with my story first so that you can see where I am coming from.


I don’t believe that self-publishing is the only way to go, nor do I think it is the best option for some people. Join me in the coming weeks in exploring this publishing option in this series I am calling: Is Self-Publishing for You? Next week we will explore some of the down sides to self-publishing.

Sarah Holman is a not so typical mid-twenties girl: A homeschool graduate, sister to six awesome siblings, and author of three published books and counting. If there is anything adventuresome about her life, it is because she serves a God with a destiny bigger than anything she could have imagined.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so excited to read this series, Sarah!

    His Princess,
    Bekah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to your series, Sarah! By the way, Word Painters are perfectly at the liberty to share their blog posts to other blogs, Google+, FB, or anywhere else. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alicia. I might repost some on my blog at some point, linking back to here of course.

      Delete

Thank you for contacting us!