Monday, February 10, 2014

Is Self-Publishing for you? Making your Decision


In this series in learning about self-publishing we have discussed my journey, the best, and the worst of this publishing option. Now, it is up to you. What choice will you make?

This decision should not be taken lightly. You shouldn’t allow people to pressure you into making a decision one way or another. It is a decision that should only be made after a long time of weighing the options, considering the risks and rewards, an much prayer.

I highly recommend you take a least a month to do your own research, read some other articles, and seeking God’s will before you make you decision. As exciting as getting your book into the hands of readers might be, you want to make sure that you don’t rush into anything.

You also should consider emailing some authors and asking them about their experience. Most authors are happy to talk about how they got published. Ask questions and see what different authors chose and why. By seeing what others did, you might get a better idea for what you should do.

Look up different publishing options and finger out what you would need for them. Look into different print-on-demand publishing options and what they costs. Look into hybrid press like Cross Books and see what they have to offer. Make sure you also look in to agents and how to get a good agent to look at your books.
While you are weighing your options and counting the coasts, pray a lot. Ultimately, you decision should be based on what you feel God is calling you to do. What is He asking of you?


I hope you have enjoyed this four part series on self-publishing, and I hope it has been helpful for you. If you have any questions, I would be happy to answer them. You can contact me at thedestinyofone(at)juno(dot)com.

Sarah Holman is a not so typical mid-twenties girl: A homeschool graduate, sister to six awesome siblings, and author of three published books and counting. If there is anything adventuresome about her life, it is because she serves a God with a destiny bigger than anything she could have imagined.

4 comments:

  1. Good post! I agree - one should take some time. I was weighing between self publishing and traditional-ish hybrid (what do you call it when a company is more traditional than regular hybrid?!) before I settled on the latter. All sides definitely have their advantages! I think self-publishing my novellas was a good experience for me, because I now respect self-published authors so much more. You all do a lot of work!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alicia, May I just say that I was looking at your publisher and I thought it was a great mix. That is why I mentioned it.
      Self-publishing is a lot of work. Writers need to know that before they jump into it.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for doing this blog series, Sarah. It has been such a blessing to me to be able to read the pros and cons to self-publishing!

    I'm realizing more and more that I cannot write without God's inspiration. It gives me a greater awe of who He is as I write and I marvel that He is interested in the smallest details of our lives.

    Thanks again, Sarah!

    His Princess,
    Bekah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bekah, I am so glad it helped.

      God is amazing! Without him, we would not have stories to write.

      Delete

Thank you for contacting us!