Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Your FaceBook Fan Page


How do you like my new Facebook cover image? Pretty neat, huh? I had fun creating it. And it inspired me to do a post on Facebook business/fan pages. 

So I am pretty new to the whole Facebook thing. I joined not too long ago, almost two years after becoming an author. And I've only been an author for two years. Agents and marketing experts told me long ago that I needed to get on. They were right and wrong. 

Yes, authors should have a fan page. But some of us need a little longer to get established in the art of author self-discipline. If we aren't disciplined enough to write a book and publish it under deadline or in a reasonable time allotment, we have no business getting involved in more social media. So, for me, I am glad I learned how to be disciplined in this author craft before getting involved in yet another aspect of the viral world. Before running out to obtain an FB page, please bear that in mind.

I am still learning about this whole thing. As you can tell from the poll on the sidebar, there are varying opinions on what exactly should be posted to a fan page. I've read a great deal on the subject and most people do have a plethora of different ideas. However, the majority viewpoint seems to be that fans enjoy both personal and business updates.

So here are a few tips that I've learned or heard from others!

  • Make it cool/pretty! (By the way, I recommend having some unique photos that you use a lot and are part of you as an author, such my medieval photos.) Ensure your cover photo effectively portrays who you are as a writer. Did you like the ones I made? You can create a similar one over at Pagemodo.
  • I have decided to make my posts 75% business, 25% personal. Find out what works for you. Some authors pretty much just post business and I have no problem with that. (Hey, it is a fan page!) Some authors do mostly personal and I actually find that I don't prefer that. (We love your cute kid, but please don't post about him every single time.) But, hey, whatever works for you and attracts viewers is the key.
  • Spice up your posts. A picture is worth a thousand words. Even if you have nothing but a dry, boring status update, add a photo that somehow accents it. (Pinterest is great, people. I apologize to you men who seem to feel it is revolting.)
  • Evaluate which posts get the most views and do those kind more often. Well, not all the time. One of my more recent big-view posts was me saying how deathly sick I was. A ton of views and comments, but I really don't want to have to do that post too often. :)
  • I don't recommend posting more than once a day unless something big comes up.
  • You want fans? Good! But, please, don't be selfish. Help other people out. Fan people you sincerely like and want to promote. Chances are (although this should not be your main reason for fanning someone), they may like you back!
Any suggestions or comments? Bring them on!
(And you can like my page while you're here!)

Alicia A. Willis is a home-school graduate, published author, and avid historian. She is a firm believer in the principle that one can accomplish anything by substantial amounts of prayer and coffee. Visit her at her blog or Facebook to view her historical-fiction novels and all the goings-on between writing!

2 comments:

  1. I need reminders to post on my FB page ... I've never been very talkative on FB, so it's still hard for me to think of what to put on my author page on a regular basis. I think pictures give your posts more attention, so pictures are good! That's about the only strategy I know. : ) I think if I put some more effort into planning posts I would get better at it! Thanks for all your advice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does require some thought! I just joined in December, so I am still learning a lot. I do like to think about the post I am going to do several days in advance.

      Delete

Thank you for contacting us!