Wednesday, July 16, 2014

10 Quotes About Writing

Greetings all, John J. Horn here.

Ever need some writerly inspiration? I do.

Here are a few fun and instructive quotes from writers of the past and present. (I don't necessarily endorse the authors.)

“I shall live badly if I do not write, and I shall write badly if I do not live.” Francois Sagan

“The best time for planning a book is while you’re doing the dishes.” St. Augustine

“If you wait for inspiration, you’re not a writer, but a waiter.” Anonymous

“I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.” Douglas Adams

“No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. No surprise in the writer, no surprise in the reader.”  Robert Frost

“History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.” Winston Churchill

“To literary critics a book is assumed to be guilty until it proves itself innocent.” Nelson Algren

“People say that writers write for money. From my own experience that's not true. I write for me. I publish for money.” Greg Curtis

“The hard part is putting one word after another.” Jo Lindsell

“Art stands on the shoulders of craft, which means that to get to the art, you must master the craft. If you want to write, practice writing.” Ann Patchett

Now go write something!

Sources:

Inspire Christian Writer's Group

Goodreads

John J. Horn is a Christian writer from San Antonio, Texas. Learn more about John and his Men of Grit series and sign up for his newsletter at johnjhornbooks.com.

7 comments:

  1. I can't imagine St. Augustine doing dishes....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great quotes! I believe the one about dishes is generally attributed to Agatha Christie :D, but whoever is responsible, it's very true.

      Delete
    2. I wondered about that as well. I generally think St. Augustine as having been to busy arguing doctrine to stop and wash the dishes. :)

      Delete
    3. I guess it sounds more impressive attributed to St. Augustine. :)

      Delete
    4. Certainly. Well, who knows? She may have been quoting him. . . . :)

      Delete
  2. Great quotes! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the quotes, John! They are very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for contacting us!