Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Getting Over "Me-ism".


I speak to a lot of writers. Most of us are all the same. We just want to write our stories and be true to the tales God has given us. 

But we're all troubled by this little thing that sometimes holds us back.

We can be shy about talking about our work. I was for many years. Marketing was hard (still is) and talking about my books made me self-conscious. Why?

I was talking about me. Self-promotion, writing flattering bios about myself, having the confidence that would reel in big publishers.... It was all very intimidating. 

'Cause Christians aren't supposed to brag on themselves.

And it took several talks with my wonderful publishing consultants and marketing agents to make me realize my mistake.


There are two ways of looking at marketing. 

First:
  • Be shy and overly modest.
  • Don't talk about our books 'cause it's about us.
  • Downplay our work.
  • Never promote it.

Did you know that the first option is not actually Biblical? Nor is it more spiritual. Because over-humility actually demonstrates the same sin as pride - thinking too much about ourselves. Downplaying the gift and stories God gave you is certainly not right either. So, while the first option to marketing may seem or feel more spiritual, it really isn't.


Second:
  • Embrace the gift God gave you while remembering that it is to Him you owe it.
  • Talk about your work in the light of where you came from and how God has led.
  • Share how you are learning, but still embrace your books as they are (if you did your best). 'Cause no one is perfect.
  • Promote your work because the stories are from God and He wants you to use them to bless people.
  • Remember that it isn't about you. It's about a gift from God, a story He wants you to share, and a plan He has for blessing others...and you!


I think this is the approach God would have us take concerning our work. I know embracing the second approach really helped me. Hopefully it will help you!


What helps you with promotion?



Alicia A. Willis is a home-school graduate, published author, and avid historian. She is a firm believer in the principle that one can accomplish anything by substantial amounts of prayer and coffee. Visit her at her blog or Facebook to view her historical-fiction novels and all the goings-on between writing!




5 comments:

  1. Excellent post, Alicia! Thank you so much for sharing it. I know the one "Don't talk about our books 'cause it's about us" is true for me, but I think it helps a lot to give the glory to God for our stories--it's because of HIM that we can write these stories after all! I also liked the one about being shy and overly modest. It's so easy for us to fool ourselves that we're being truly humble, when at the root of it, there's most likely some ugly pride. :-)

    Good job on this post! I'm definitely pinning this to Pinterest for future reference.

    His Princess,
    Bekah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why, thank you! :) It does help to give Him the glory. After all, "let him that glorieth glory in the Lord"! After all I realized that it all started and ended with the Lord, marketing got much easier. Hope your writing is going well!

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much, Alicia, for your sweet reply. My writing is going well, praise the Lord!

      Delete
  2. Firstly, thank you for your excellent comment on why over-modesty is not right. I agree wholeheartedly.
    Secondly, *where* did you get that photo of the library? It looks so much like one I used to know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We appreciate you stopping by! The photo is from Pinterest.

      Delete

Thank you for contacting us!