Monday, September 15, 2014

Five Benefits of Meeting Other Writers

At the beginning of this month, I was able to get together with two new friends from the States. Just last week I was in Wales meeting homeschoolers. On Saturday, I saw friends at an airshow. What's the common denominator? All three cases involved me in chatting to other writers.

Now, I don’t know about you, but to me “writing” brings up the image of a person sitting alone in a room. Probably most of us aren’t stereotypically introverted, quiet, and shy, but our craft tends to involve a lot of hard work that is achieved when apart from other people. The hours of research or key-tapping can actually be a break from a part-time job or hectic schedule. Even if this is the case, there is a heap of encouragement to be gained from talking to other writers.

We can

Share the excitement of a new project,

Inspire energy in a slumping climax,

Challenge to set sights higher and tighten the plot,

Empathize about a bout of writer’s block, and

Encourage a weary one to press through to The End.


Maybe you’re disillusioned with the wholewriting thing.Even if a friendly talk to a fellow-writer doesn’t go into details—even if it doesn’t venture beyond a discussion of theory or style or the difficulty of getting published—it can remind you that you’re not alone.


Maybe you’ve just published your third novel, have never been more excited, and are brimming with ideas to use up before your next deadline. Well, perhaps you’ll find yourself able to spark off some of that inspiration onto a fellow writer in the literary doldrums.

“Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing.” 
1 Thess. 5:11


Have you been able to help or be helped by talking to other writers?

Am I wrong about the stereotype and most writers you know are quiet and shy? :)

  
Caitlin R. Hedgcock is a Christian author who aspires to use storytelling for God’s glory. She lives with her family in England's picturesque county of Hertfordshire. Visit her blog or Facebook page to find out more.

6 comments:

  1. I love talking to other authors! It always convinces me that I'm not alone in my crazy habits such as having conversations with characters and falling in love with totally imaginary people. ;)

    I'm a strange combination of quiet, shy, outgoing, and talkative. Depends on the day. :) Authors are weird like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alicia - Lol! Yes, it's great to connect with others who can relate to our authorly eccentricities :D

      I'm a bit like that too! I reckon it comes in handy when creating and understanding a cast of characters with different traits.

      Delete
  2. Agreed with Alicia...depends on the day for me. I have out loud actual conversations with imaginary people all the time :)
    Actually, I've had some of my friends think I was sulking or upset with them when really I was just so intent on a new story idea I forgot I wasn't alone!! Love the button! That happens to me all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lauren, those conversations must be fun for your family to overhear! :D

      I like to "rehearse" and brush up dialogue so it's ready to be tapped out in a flow when I get to my desk--if I can remember it... :)

      Delete

Thank you for contacting us!