Monday, September 8, 2014

When you Don’t Meet your Goals



It is discouraging. It is frustrating. It makes you angry at yourself. You made a plan, a very good plan, but it crumbles. I know the feeling, I have been there. This year has been very discouraging when it came to meeting my goals.

I had a wonderful plan for 2014. I was going to publish three books, write at least that many more, and finally start making money off my books. As this year is rapidly coming to an end, I realize that I probably will only publish one book, write maybe two more, and break even on my expenses. Yeah, the goals went out the window.

Like any good writer, I sat down and evaluated why I hadn’t met my goals. I really expected to find that I had just been wasting my time, because, like all good writers, I am my harshest critic.  What I found really surprised me, in a good way. If you examined how you spend your time, you might too.
You see, this year has been a full year for me. My historical fiction book took a lot more time than I thought it would. I spent a lot more time editing and checking facts than I was planning on. It made the book better, but it took a lot of time.

I had a part time job taking care of an elderly lady for four months. Being away from home two days a week and caring for a person who can’t do much for themselves was hard, especially since I was experiencing energy issues myself. My dad had been struggling health–wise, so I was spending a lot more time doing things around the house, or driving people places.

What have I learned from all this? I have learned that yes, it is very discouraging when you don’t meet your goals, but that doesn’t make it a problem. Sometimes we need down time, sometimes God has other plans for us, and we shouldn’t put our writing above those that need us.


When you don’t meet your goals, evaluate yourself. Remember to give yourself some slack. God has a plan and purpose behind those interruptions.





Sarah Holman is a not so typical mid-twenties girl: A homeschool graduate, sister to six awesome siblings, and author of five published books and counting. If there is anything adventuresome about her life, it is because she serves a God with a destiny bigger than anything she could have imagined.

2 comments:

Thank you for contacting us!