Friday, November 14, 2014

Encouraging Verses for the Writer

I got curious earlier this week and looked up Bible verses that could be applied to writers today, and here is what I found. I hope this encourages you as you continue your hard work!


 My heart is inditing a good matter: I speak of the things which I have made touching the king: my tongue is the pen of a ready writer. (Psalm 45:1)

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8)

Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God. (1 Corinthians 10:31)

How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! how great is the sum of them!
If I should count them, they are more in number than the sand: when I awake, I am still with thee. (Psalms 139:17-18) (Quick note: the Hebrew word for “count” is related to the word for “scroll” and “record.”)

Seest thou a man diligent in his business? he shall stand before kings; he shall not stand before mean men. (Proverbs 22:29)

O give thanks unto the LORD; call upon his name: make known his deeds among the people. (Psalm 105:1)

Oh that my words were now written! oh that they were printed in a book!
That they were graven with an iron pen and lead in the rock for ever!
For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: (Job 19:23-25)

This shall be written for the generation to come: and the people which shall be created shall praise the LORD. (Psalm 102:8)

A man hath joy by the answer of his mouth: and a word spoken in due season, how good is it! (Proverbs 15:23)


This link will bring you to a very nice blog post with more verses that we can all take strength from:

Do you have a favorite verse that inspires your writing? (I find Psalms 139:17-18 and Philippians 4:11 particularly special to me … the former is on my blog and the latter’s reference is on my business card.)


Kelsey Bryant is an author, blogger, and copy editor who loves the Lord. She revels in many things: the beauty of God's Word, the music of English, the wonder of nature, the joy of creativity, the freedom of motion, the richness of literature, the intrigue of history ... and much more. To learn more about her, visit her website or blog

3 comments:

  1. Great and encouraging verses! Thank you for sharing, Kelsey :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found them so! You're welcome, and thank you for your comment!

      Delete
  2. Amanda T. sent us this insightful comment. Thank you, Amanda, for your thoughts!
    "Recently, I heard a sermon which really encouraged me as an aspiring writer. The preacher was actually preaching to preachers from 2 Corinthians 9:8-10 but I found it applied to writers as well - who also have a message to share, "And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work: (As it is written, He hath dispersed abroad; he hath given to the poor: his righteousness remaineth for ever. Now he that ministereth seed to the sower both minister bread for your food, and multiply your seed sown, and increase the fruits of your righteousness;)"

    Some points that he brought out was that all messages should come from God - and that only good seeds (not bad) come from God. Likewise, there is no other place to get good seed than from the Word of God. And if we sow the wrong seed, then something *besides* good will come up.

    As a writer, it encouraged me to be sure that the message I share comes from God - that I look to Him for my ideas and not scrap up ideas from just anywhere.

    Thanks for sharing your verses!"

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for contacting us!