Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Book Recommendation: How to Make a Living as a Writer

Greetings all, John J. Horn here.

I'd love to make a living as a writer, and since you're reading Word-Painters you probably would as well.

I saw a recommendation last week for James Scott Bell's new book How to Make a Living as a Writer. I haven't read any of Bell's fiction, but I did enjoy his craft-guide The Art of War for Writers, so I took the $2.99 plunge and bought it on Kindle.

Very helpful book.

Bell is honest with readers that making a living purely by writing is challenging, but he also gives some concrete advice to achieve that goal.

He covers everything from coming up with ideas to the actual writing process to book formatting, self-publishing, finding an agent, and more.

How to Make a Living as a Writer is helpful for fictioneers and non-fiction authors, and Bell says you may well have to write both in order to make a living.

I've been reading bits and pieces on my phone over the last week (almost finished) and it has my fingers twitching to start on my next story.

And, it's cheaper than a cup of coffee at Starbucks, which seems to be what everybody compares cheap things to.

Check it out!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing! We're all eager for you to start your next book too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for contacting us!