Wednesday, January 7, 2015

When You Hate Your Own Book...

Don't even dare call me dramatic.

Yes, I'm at that stage. I HATE my own book at this point. Editing, proofing, more editing, formatting, marketing...I'm just ready for the book to be done.

Ever been there? 

It wasn't this way with CrossBooks - I had all the joys of a Design Team and PSA who did everything for me. Man, I was spoiled. Now that I am delving deeper into the world of self-pubbing, however, I have to continue experiencing the *joys* of formatting and marketing.

But even though self-publishing is very different, it doesn't mean that I have not been at this stage before. I hated all of my other titles before they hit the shelves too.

Technically, I think that is maybe the way it should be. It shows all the hard work, toil, and tears that have been poured into the book. You did your best. You worked hard - even to the point of hating your project.

And the feeling of abhorrence very quickly slips away.

So, if you are near the end of a project and simply can't stand it anymore, don't worry. The feeling will pass. And it will all be worth it when you see your book on retailer websites and on bookshelves. 

Speaking of which, Rising to the Challenge releases (Lord willing) on the 26th of January. Get read for an all-new adventure, folks! :)
___________________________________________


Alicia A. Willis is a home-school graduate, published author, and avid historian. She is a firm believer in the principle that one can accomplish anything by substantial amounts of prayer and coffee. Visit her at her blog or Facebook to view her historical-fiction novels and all the goings-on between writing!


2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry! I'll be praying that everything goes smoothly for you leading up to the release of your new book!

    I've felt the same way before. Discouraged with how slow things go when I just want to be finished with it! And also the feeling of my book never being good enough and that no one will actually enjoy it. But I know for a fact that if we just leave these thoughts and feelings with the Lord, He'll give us a peace. He's blessed me far above what I could ever think or dream of!

    How exciting "Rising to the Challenge" is almost ready! I have yet to read "In Search of Adventure", but I hope to sometime this year. :-)

    God bless!

    ~Bekah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep it up, Alicia! You're almost there! I can understand what you're going through---I was just there less than a month ago (and a couple of times before that with the same story), and I can't wait to publish mine, too. I am so glad you put that last line in there: the feeling of abhorrence very quickly slips away. It's true! Once I published my first book and heard good things from others, I felt it was out of my hands and I didn't have to worry about it anymore. What a relief!
    This was such a good post because we don't always think of it this way, but the encouragement is needed just as much at this stage as all the others!
    Congratulations on book number ... 6, is it? : ) All your future readers will be so glad you persevered!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for contacting us!