Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Why Do You Write?

So...

Why do you write what you write?

Some of you may be staring blankly at the screen. Well, duh! I write because I am a writer. It's like breathing. Or eating chocolate. Life doesn't exist without writing.

Okay, that's good. It really is. But what is your drive? Why are your books so important? Why are you as a writer so vital to your audience? On those tough days, it is good to know why you do what you do.

So I made my own list. 

Why I Write Historical-Fiction
  • I love history. I love writing. Put the two together = awesomeness.
  • Historical-fiction is educational. People learn about eras-gone-past while they connect with the story. And learning about the events that shaped our world as it is today is key to understanding who we are.
  • Historical-fiction is a descriptive, colorful genre to write. You are expected to fit in geographical detail, ancient cliches, fun accents, and super amazing elements of days-gone-past such as swords, slave ships, chariots, and kirtles.
  • There is room for a strong Christian message. Some genres are less tolerant of faith-filled tales. If only for the historical sake (although I certainly do it for additional reasons), the way God and Christianity has influenced culture is vitally important and expected.
  • I can grind any ax I want.... Heehee, and I do it too! Whether it's good character, salvation, or Biblical principles, I can include it as long as it's historical. And, when it is, you can "get away" with a lot of underlying themes that will have a strong influence on readers.

So...

Why do you write what you write? Leave your list in the comments!
____________________________


Alicia A. Willis is a home-school graduate, published author, and avid historian. She is a firm believer in the principle that one can accomplish anything by substantial amounts of prayer and coffee. Visit her at her blog or Facebook to view her historical-fiction novels and all the goings-on between writing!



4 comments:

  1. Great post and great question! This is helpful for each of us to ponder, especially when we're discouraged. (I should answer your question now, but my mind is a little full at the moment, so I will have to do my pondering later ...) It certainly can re-excite you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of a couple of things ...
      1. Writing is my way of really learning about the world. I love learning, and by translating what I learn into writing, I'm almost able to live it!

      2. I've realized that making people realize a truth through a story is often more poignant than telling it straight out, and I'm fascinated by that. So I write to explore that power. :)

      Delete
    2. Awesome list! :) Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
    3. Because I want to try to capture, even imperfectly, some of the beauty that I see around me every day and encapsulate it into a story so that other people can see and recognise it. It's a beauty that points to Jesus, and even if people don't recognise it as Him, it is, nevertheless.

      Because if you want to read the book you've always wanted to read, you're probably going to have to write it yourself.

      Because you can do anything by writing - it's a truly magical process. You can be anyone you want to be, and do anything you want to do, and that's amazing.

      I'm sure there are many more reasons, but there are three, at any rate!

      -Bethia

      Delete

Thank you for contacting us!