Monday, February 2, 2015

The Effect of our Words



We as Christian words talk often of using our writing to glorify God, but when was the last time we truly contemplated the effect our stories have on people. When was the last time you read the words you wrote and wondered how it will impact the reader who reads it? I am not just talking about how it impacts the review they give the book, but how it impacts their heart.

I have been thinking a lot about this as I have been working on Brothers and Betrayal. One of the main characters in the book is a young woman who is trying to help some people her father is opposed to. What will young people hear when they read about Brianna? Will they hear the message that I was trying to make that you should always honor and respect our parents, even if you have to follow God, instead of obey them? Or will children see this as an excuse to disobey their parents when they don’t like what they have said?

I do not pretend to have all the answers. I figure I will be struggling with how I word things up until the point I push the publish button. Struggling is good though, because it means that I am taking my job seriously. I wonder how many of the books that are out there would have remained unpublished if the author had taken a few minutes and thought about what effect their books could have on others’ lives.


To be sure, there will always be people who misunderstand your message or assume that you meant something by your words that you did not. However, that should not keep any of us from looking deeply into the words we right and thinking how it will affect our readers.

Sarah Holman is a not so typical mid-twenties girl: A homeschool graduate, sister to six awesome siblings, and author of five published books and counting. If there is anything adventuresome about her life, it is because she serves a God with a destiny bigger than anything she could have imagined.

6 comments:

  1. A great reminder, Sarah! It's easy to get caught up in the excitement of crafting a "clever" plot or dialogue, without properly considering what we might be implying - or its logical conclusion. I often have to watch out for this. Thank you for the post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caitlin,
      I know it is something I have been struggling with as well. I am glad that my post was encouraging.

      Delete
  2. Yes, so true! It can be a hard task to really write the point you are trying to get across. But I much prefer to read a book that I can learn something from, then to read a 'Christian' book that is just trying to get the guy and girl together in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olivia
      I agree, the best books leave you changed.

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for this post! And I'm truly looking forward to your next book!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for contacting us!