Wednesday, February 11, 2015

What Kind of a Writer are You?

So...writer is a fairly vague term. It can mean one of several things:

  • A journalist who chases ambulances and *in today's society* risks his or her life to get the scoop on events.
  • A casual hobbyist who writes for fun.
  • A hermit in some abandoned mine shaft who scrawls out his or her thoughts in true introvert fashion.
  • An author - casual or professional.
So what are you?

At this point, I am a professional author. I don't write just for fun, and I am dedicated to turning out a certain number of novels per year, marketing, public speaking, etc. While most professional authors have many books, there are a few who only have a title or two. Yet, they have the support of a big publishing house and are doing their part to market their work. These two scenarios are what is termed professional author.

Other writers I know are hobbyists. They write for fun or for an outlet. (Oh, to go back to those days!) They write because it's like breathing. The world may or may not ever get to read their work. It's their's and, for now, they are happy to keep it that way. 

Still others are casual authors. They may self-publish one or two books and don't do much in the way of marketing. If the books sells, it sells. If not...well, that's how it is. They are similar to the casual hobbyist in that it is still more of a hobby than an actual business. 

There are ups and downs to all three categories. And it is important to know which you are. You'll save yourself a lot of time and energy by knowing what kind of writer you are and devoting yourself accordingly.

So what are you?
______________________________________


Alicia A. Willis is a home-school graduate, published author, and avid historian. She is a firm believer in the principle that one can accomplish anything by substantial amounts of prayer and coffee. Visit her at her blog or Facebook to view her historical-fiction novels and all the goings-on between writing!







10 comments:

  1. I believe I'm a casual writer. I enjoy getting my stories ready for publication, (though the editing process CAN be quite tedious. LOL) I like the flexibility with being self-published so I can go at my own pace. I feel a great satisfaction and honor, as well when I see that I've sold a book or have received a positive review of it on Amazon. (<<What author doesn't enjoy getting reviews from his/her readers?!)

    Most of all, I enjoy writing to bring God glory. Who knows? God might use my children's chapter books to bring others to Him and to encourage. :-)

    Lovely post, Alicia!

    ~Bekah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Editing is the not-so-great part! :) Being a casual author is wonderful - you can write more at your leisure, but still glorify God and bless others. Keep it up!

      Delete
  2. At the moment I'm a hobbyist but someday I hope to go professional. =D
    -Mikayla-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Currently, I write as a hobby, but I would like to publish someday!
    -Micaiah-

    ReplyDelete
  4. I write for a hobby at the moment. Some days I feel like publishing, but other days I'm glad I haven't gotten to that point yet. Lots of work involved!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lot of work. It's worth it, but it's quite a challenge!

      Delete
  5. I definitely write for a hobby. Hopefully I'll finish something, someday! Until then, I'm content with just having fun as I improve my writing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for contacting us!