Tuesday, December 29, 2015

When Life Happens...

Life happens.

I hear from clients all the time. I'm just too busy. I know. I know because I've been there myself. In fact, I'm too busy now.

Writing is not happening.


Do I feel guilty? 

No. And neither should you.

You see, good writers build their manuscripts off of experience. Off of the things the Lord is teaching them. Off of things that truly matter. And we cannot accumulate those things without down-to-earth, real-life happenings. Real life is good. Realizing that the writing journey is one that takes flexibility is good.

But being swamped with regular life does not mean that you abandon writing altogether. I am swamped with preparing for my wedding and moving four hours away from my family. Oh, and Lord willing, we will be heading to the Philippines to do missionary work two weeks after our honeymoon. (Details HERE.)

But all that does not mean that I have abandoned my next book. One can brainstorm while they do the dishes. One can glean ideas from watching a good, old-fashioned, swashbuckling action movie with the family. One can watch people on a continual basis and study human nature. And God is always teaching us things that can be the spiritual side of our manuscripts. 

So don't be discouraged when life gets in the way. Just be creative with your time. Remember that there are seasons in life. And appreciate where you are and how your experiences right now will shape your next book. 

How is your writing coming? 

8 comments:

  1. this was goooood. <3 needed it-- THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, life is happening! I used to really struggle with feeling guilty when I didn't have the time or energy to wrote, but I've come realize that sometimes life happens!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a great article! Since I'm only 16, at this point in my life I'm trying to focus much more on schoolwork than writing but I do write short stories every once and a while :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad it was helpful! :) Happy writing!

      Delete
  4. Oh yes, sometimes writing just doesn't happen. If I'm not writing I'm usually writing in my head :) Thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for contacting us!