Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Turn Your Book into an Audiobook at ACX.com

Greetings all, John J. Horn here.

I'm considering turning my novels into audiobooks.

Audiobooks provide a way to make more money from work I've already done, and engage readers in a new, exciting way.

I don't want to narrate my own books. Actually, I do, because I know what my characters sound like, but I know that my voice is not up to the task. I also know from a teaching project I'm working on right now that recording high-quality audio is HARD work.

That's why I'm considering ACX.com. It's an Amazon-run platform that connects authors with narrators. I have a friend who is narrating on ACX, and from what she has described of the process, it sounds like a really good fit for both authors and narrators.

Here's a video summary:

 

I'm curious to know if anyone else has experience turning their books into audiobooks, or with ACX specifically. If you do, I'd love to hear your perspective in the comments.

John J. Horn is a Christian author from Texas. Purchase his Men of Grit series from Amazon here and sign up for his newsletter at johnjhornbooks.com.

2 comments:

  1. I actually have 2 of my books recorded and for sale on ACX. There are pros and cons of using it.
    Cons first:
    You either have to wait for the right person to come and audition to read your book (which can take a long or short time) or you have to spend hours and hours and hours searching for that "right" person (and hear so many voices you can't tell one from the next). Unless of course you already know of one. :)
    If you have the money to pay for the recording all at once, you might get more auditions.
    Marketing can be a bit of a challenge.

    Pros:
    You don't have to read your book! (Like you, John, I don't have the right voice for my stories.) And you don't have to mess with trying to learn all the recording tech stuff.
    If you get the right reader, you're book will sound amazing! (The reader for my book "The Graham Quartet and the Mysterious Strangers" is perfect and makes the book enjoyable even for someone who knows the story inside and out.)
    You get to have the fun of telling your readers your book is going to be available on audio. :)
    There is not a lot of work for you, the author, if someone records your book. (You do have to listen to it and approve it.)

    So, all that said, I do like ACX and would love to get more of my books recorded if I could get the right voices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Rebekah! That's very helpful.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for contacting us!