Friday, March 4, 2016

Twelve Writing Resources

unsplash

Hi everyone! Instead of me sharing much of an article today, a family member gave me the idea to do a post on some writing resources (most of which are free, too!). This is just a handful of things that are out there on the internet or in books. I haven’t used all of them, but if you find yourself in need of advice on any aspect of writing and publising, I hope something from this compilation can help you out!

  • Self-Editing for Fiction Writers – This book by Renni Browne and Dave King made a huge impact on me as I edited my first novel, Family Reunion. Although you have to watch out for one or two indecent pieces they use as examples, it will help you make your fiction stronger and tighter.
  • Plot – Written by Ansen Dibell, this is my favorite book so far on crafting fictional plots. It starts with basic how-tos and advances to more complex techniques that will make your novel a richer, more satisfying read.
  • Fix My Story – I discovered Jordan Smith’s blog after I read his insightful book, Finding the Core of Your Story. I’ve found his articles, mostly on marketing, to be full of good tips I haven’t seen elsewhere.
  • K.M. Weiland – Although I’ve only looked at her site, helpingwritersbecomeauthors.com, now and then, author and mentor K.M. Wieland offers a whole lot of valuable writing advice.
  • Grammar Girl – Confused about the difference between hyphens and dashes? Whether to use who or whom? This gives quick, easy-to-understand tips on all things grammar.
  • Nick Stephenson: Your First 10,000 Readers – You can sign up for a series of three free, half-hour videos on marketing your books. Although I haven’t been able to put his directions into practice yet, I’m excited to try them as soon as I can.
  • Scribophile.com – This is a free, online writing critique group community that comes highly recommended from someone I met in person recently, Christian author Jamie S. Foley.
  • Writing Excuses – If you love audio, this website offers short, constructive podcasts on writing. Also recommended by Jamie S. Foley.
  • Purdue Online Writing Lab (OWL) – This website offers free resources on all facets of the techinical side of writing, whether you have a grammar question (it has free style guides), need to write citations for an essay or article, or more.
  • Citation Machine – If you’re writing papers or articles that need citations, this website formats the citations for you automatically. This comes recommended by my sister-in-law, a college student and ESL tutor.
  • Spellcheckplus.com – This site gives a bit more help on spelling and grammar than the typical Microsoft Word program. Put your writing in a box and it will mark whatever needs your attention. Also recommended by my sister-in-law.
  • Grammarly – This is another grammar and spell checker that’s free on certain web browsers. I’ve never used it, but I’ve heard great things about it. It even looks for style issues like word repetition and vocabulary. It can help you become a better writer!

Have you ever used any of these books or sites? What did you think? Do you have favorite writing resources you’d like to share?

Kelsey Bryant is an author, blogger, and copy editor who loves the Lord. She revels in many things: the beauty of God's Word, the music of English, the wonder of nature, the joy of creativity, the freedom of motion, the richness of literature, the intrigue of history ... and much more. To learn more about her, visit her website or blog

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for contacting us!