Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Ask Yourself: What If?

Greetings all, John J. Horn here.

What if your protagonist's best friend is a villain?

What if the sky really does start raining cats and dogs?

"What if" and "how could it be worse" are two questions that can turn a mediocre tree-killer into a pulse-pounding artwork.

Use this simple writing exercise to electrify your stories:

- Ask yourself: "What if X happened. And Y. And Z. And A-W."

Stuff a pacifier between your inner editor's nay-saying lips and let your imagination go.

95.28% of the impossible ideas you spew forth are impossible. The other 4.72% are golden. (Okay, I made those numbers up, but you get the point.)

That exercise is not original to me but I've used it to brainstorm some pretty fun stuff that actually worked. Sure, I had to re-write sections of my book, but it was totally worth it.

You have nothing to lose. Go ask yourself: "What if?"

John J. Horn is a Christian author from Texas. Purchase his Men of Grit series from Amazon here and sign up for his newsletter at johnjhornbooks.com.

Friday, June 10, 2016

Read-to-Win

http://www.homeschooledauthors.com/2016/06/read-to-win-2016.html


Hey everyone! It’s Kelsey. I’m glad to be back to Word Painters after a break. I hope you’ve been doing well and have been getting some writing done!

I wanted to share with you about a fun and rewarding opportunity that helps fellow writers—and just might win you a fantastic prize.

Read-to-Win is a summer reading and book review program hosted by Homeschooled Authors. Fourteen authors have each put one of their eBooks on sale for 99 cents during the whole summer so that readers can easily purchase, read, and review them for entries in the contest. The prizes include a $100 Amazon gift card, free paperback books, and free eBooks. Check out Homeschooled Authors for more information! 

Kelsey Bryant is an author, blogger, and copy editor who loves the Lord. She revels in many things: the beauty of God's Word, the music of English, the wonder of nature, the joy of creativity, the freedom of motion, the richness of literature, the intrigue of history ... and much more. To learn more about her, visit her website or blog

 

Saturday, June 4, 2016

A Word of Thanks...

Just a teeny, tiny post to say thank you to William for all the updates he's doing on Word Painters. And I am super grateful for all of our writers and readers - the people that make this blog happen. 

That is all.